Saturday, February 01, 2003

It's been a week from hell. Tonight as I was driving home, I passed Cease Funeral Home. They have a large sign posted, reading, "WE HAVE MOVED!"

Since moving to Bemidji, I've always chuckled, "Cease Funeral Home." I keep making mental reminders to take a photo and send it to David Letterman.

Now I wonder, what do you do with an old funeral home? It's much different than Video Update moving into the old Holiday gas station or Gander Mountain moving into the old Food for Less.

Salon? Gift Shop? Gas Station? Video Store? Restaurant? RESTAURANT! Imagine the advertising: "Come to the grand opening of Stan's Sandwiches! Located in the old Cease Funeral Home." All sorts of mental images come to mind! Would they keep the funeral home as a theme? They could use the enbalming machine as the juice dispenser! Oh my!

In highschool I had to tour a funeral home as part of a "living on your own" class. We climbed several flights of stairs to an attic that was overflowing with caskets. My knees buckled and to the floor I went. My better judgment told me I should wait outside after that, instead I insisted I complete the tour, so down to the enbalming room I went. I managed to stay standing, but couldn't hear or see anything. By a miracle I got outside, where I sat on the front steps waiting. I haven't been in a funeral home since.

My grandpa developed a severe fever in the last few days and his breathing has become very labored. I want nothing more than to go see him right now, but because of the total upheaval of where I live, it's impossible to do that AND expect to be able to leave for the funeral. I hope this experience with the funeral home is "better" than the previous.

No comments: